One of the beautiful things about Berkshires is the change of seasons. It keeps life interesting with a constant change of scenery. Changes in Berkshires outdoor activities accompany all of these seasonal changes. In the Berkshires, you can participate in a wide range of recreation in the great outdoors not available in many parts of this country.
Berkshires Outdoor Activities During the Spring, Summer and Fall Months
Sometimes the best way to experience nature is on your own two feet. Hiking in the Berkshires is a treasured pastime for both visitors and locals. There are many scenic trails for day hikes. Many of these day hikes lead to the tops of mountains with beautiful vistas. Autumn in the Berkshires is just an amazing time of year to be outdoors and watch the daily changes as the maples begin to turn color and prepare for winter. It is often rainy in November, but we also have lovely low humidity and crisp, clear days that make for some of the best hiking of the year. Cooler weather makes it a nice time to get out for those end-of-the-season bike rides or hikes. Explore our area:
- October Mountain – Becket/Washington
- Monument Mountain – Great Barrington
- Tyringham Cobble – Tyringham
- John Drummond Kennedy Park – Lenox
- Barthomew’s Cobble – Sheffield
- Bash Bish Falls – Mount Washington
- Ice Glen and Laura’s Tower – Stockbridge
- Pleasant Valley Wildlife Sanctuary – Lenox
- Mount Greylock State Reservation – Adams
- Notchview Reservation – Windsor
- Heritage Walks – Western Massachusettes & Connecticut
- Berkshire Botanical Garden – Stockbridge
Berkshires Outdoor Activities in the Winter
Winter in the the Berkshires is one of our favorite season. Our area has many excellent downhill skiing resorts and ski areas, and there are many cross-country ski areas, as well.
- Ski Butternut – Great Barrington, MA
- Bosque Ski Resort – Pittsfield
- Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort – Hancock, MA
- Catamount Ski Area – South Egremont
- Canterbury Farm – Becket, MA
- John Drummond Kennedy Park – Lenox, MA
The area abounds with recreational opportunities which offer something for everyone to enjoy, year-round.